Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Happiness Is A Nap In The Sun

Southport   

This morning the emphasis was on the "North" in North Carolina. It felt more like the North Pole. We even had to turn on the heat pump to warm up the boat. I attempted to jumpstart my body's heater by knocking out my hour of stretching. It had been way too long since my last yoga session and it took a while to get my creaky joints moving. A hot shower followed and we then prepared to take a walk. I pulled out my jeans and a sweatshirt. The wind was still whipping and the marina's flag flew straight and stiff. Dutchman Creek Park was a short distance up the road. We walked to the little beach, while keeping an eye out for any logs with eyes. We did not see an alligator, but did wonder why the metal sign was so bent and crinkled. Seems like whatever did that damage may be a bigger threat. A bench in the sun by the playground called out to us. Barry played on his phone while I dozed off in the warm sunshine, out of the wind. He only threatened to leave me there looking like a homeless person. For me, on this day, this was my happy place.   

The hours after lunch were spent dusting, vacuuming, and restocking the pantry. We have a week to go until we are home so this was hopefully the final time for these chores while underway. A longer walk closed out the day. That stretch of road traveled was more about the sights and smells of North Carolina. Roadside muscadine vines were loaded with small grapes. The honeysuckle was mature, yellowing, and fragrant. The still stiff breeze carried the scent across the parking lot. I smelled the honeysuckle long before I located the vines. Carolina jasmine also added sweetness to the breeze. I'm not sure if the evening's sign warning of nuclear emergencies was scarier than the morning's warning of alligators. Neither one applied to us, so it was a good day. On our return to Crossroads, I spotted an interesting boat name, Veruca Salt. I was reminded of the character's song from Willy Wonka -- "Don't care how, I want it now."  This point of our travels is draining and tiresome. We both are ready to get home and the weather is not being cooperative. Added to the stress of ICW travel is the reduced operating schedule at the Great Bridge Lock. We have several plans and even more contingencies in place for when we leave Southport on Thursday. Tomorrow, however, we'll enjoy visiting with several friends who will share their time with us and stop over to visit. 


No comments:

Post a Comment