Thursday, June 7, 2018

A Walk Around Town

Day 18  |  Croton-on-Hudson

A change in schedule left us with a day in Croton-on-Hudson with nothing on our agenda. We put our heads together and made a plan for the day. First was to try and fix my iPhone. Somehow yesterday between getting soaked in the spray of the waterfall and trying to delete an annoying text from CVS, I managed to erase many important files. I stressed over this all night, but came up with a strategy which I hoped would work. Back off my photos from yesterday onto my laptop and then restore the phone from the Cloud. I hesitantly hit the "Restore from Backup" button and freaked when it said approximately 24 hours until completion, due to the slow wifi connection.

Oh well, nothing I could do but wait so we went for a stroll along the Westchester RiverWalk. We had walked a little bit of this on our first day in town, but today we wanted to make it to the northern end of the trail and the 9/11 Remembrance Memorial. Massive boulders have been placed as riprap all along the shore. The paved path was dotted with joggers and walkers -- some being led by their dogs. We stopped and entertained a spirited yellow lab for a few minutes. Flowers and critters were plentiful along the way.


At the turnaround we found the 9/11 Remembrance Memorial, featuring a one-ton beam from the World Trade Center positioned as a sundial. More information on the Reaching Through the Shadow statue can be found at this link. Check it out, its pretty interesting.


There is quite a bit of public works construction going on in this area. Crews are putting in new sidewalks and guardrails. On all the trucks is the logo for Croton-on-Hudson which I think is well-done with (at least) seven icons of the area incorporated into the simple C. Soon we were back at the marina. My phone restoration was a bit more encouraging, saying four hours to go. We had lunch and then began tearing apart the salon one final time to finish up our wiring project. Barry went under the floor and into the bilge to drill the final hole (with the new bit bought yesterday) to run the power line and connect it up. All tested fine, we cleaned the place up, and checked another project off the list.


The temperatures were a bit warmer today and the sky was clear so I went to sunny Fiberglass Beach and attempted to read a few pages in the last magazine brought from home. I quickly dozed off, assuring the magazine will hang around for a few more days. By 3:30 my phone had restored enough to have texting, email and camera functions back. The apps may take another day to re-load, but I can handle that delay. We walked back into town and had dinner. On the return trip we were captivated by the sign below. Yep, we just had to stop for a little ice cream, but were back to the marina in time to sit on the dock and watch the sun set behind the mountains. I'm now working on tonight's post with my laptop plugged in behind me and the walkway clear of charging cords. My phone is serving as a personal hotspot while receiving texts and emails. We walked over five miles today and my knee feels OK. It was a pretty good day.


We will be leaving early in the morning, continuing north up the Hudson River. We will pass Bear Mountain State Park and West Point, both places we visited yesterday, on our way to Kingston.

1 comment: