Thursday, May 2, 2019

Be The Rainbow in Someone Else's Cloud

Day 347  |  Marsh Harbour

The tropical weather system was still with us this morning, bringing early showers. We anxiously waited for a break in the clouds and our opportunity to go ashore. I needed to get to the BTC office and restore service on my cell phone. We finally pulled away from Crossroads around 11:00. It was the first time I had seen our steadying sail deployed. It looks a little goofy, but we think it has served its purpose. We both laughed while guessing what our PHRF might be in a regatta.


As we walked through town we spotted a small take-away hut and made a note to return there for lunch. Luckily the phone issue was resolved within a few minutes and I regained cell service just in time. I was expecting a very important update from home to come in soon. Although I still have my teeth, the take-away's advertising was alluring. We returned and placed our orders just as the downpour began. Our original plan was to take our lunch back to Crossroads. The rain forced us to Plan B. We took a spot at the lone covered picnic table and opened our containers to find huge portions of BBQ chicken and ribs with corn on the cob. I think the toothless folks may have opted for a side of mac and cheese with their meat. Our lunches were delicious and by far the best $20 meal we've had on the entire Loop.

While wrist-deep in my chicken, my video chat rang. Two dear friends and I shared a few great moments, all convinced that the others had made their day. These two ladies sure were the rainbow in my cloudy day (a favorite Maya Angelou quote). This was a very special time that I will never forget that I am so blessed to have such great friends. After close to a half hour, the deluge turned into a shower and we carried our leftovers back toward the dinghy dock along the flooded streets. As we have found to be commonplace here in the Bahamas, a local stopped his SUV and asked if we'd like a ride. Although we only had two blocks to go, we gladly accepted his offer.


Once back on the dock, we first had to bail out the two inches of rainwater that accumulated in the dinghy. We set off back to the mothership in a steady drizzle and were pretty much soaked through by the time we got onboard. We changed clothes and watched a movie to pass the afternoon. Before the sun set, the clouds began to clear and blue sky peaked through. We're hoping the sun will be out tomorrow. I need to work on my tan.


We hope to make one final run into town early tomorrow morning before moving on to Great Guana Cay by the afternoon. The plan is to spend one night there then meet up with Flip Flop and move up to Green Turtle Cay on Saturday. There we will start looking for a good weather window for our cross back to the States.

No comments:

Post a Comment