Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Fun Times with Locals and Friends from Home

Black Point 

After posting last night's entry, the nearly-full moon rose and illuminated the anchorage. Heavy cloud cover had obscured the moonlight every other evening so it was exciting to see the glow through the windows. We got moving early this morning and gathered towels, sheets, and dirty clothes into bags. We dropped the dinghy and piled everything in with a goal to be in the first loading of the washers when the laundromat opened at 8:30. Almost on cue as we untied, a small shower blew through, but did not deter us. We were even treated to a brief rainbow on our trip in to shore.


Seems the opening time on the sign was just a suggestion, so we waited until 9:00 to get our tokens. Barry chatted with a few fellow cruisers inside while I became fast friends with one of the locals. I explained to her that it was OK to join me and that I gave pretty good ear scratches. She told me to prove it and I obliged. Before I knew it she was fast asleep on my backpack, meaning no reading for me during the wait. I was more than happy taking in the scenery, which included another shower rolling through. She stayed with me for 2.5 hours, before we had to part ways and take the clean clothes back to Crossroads. Shortly after lunch Spartina arrived in from Staniel Cay. I was anxious to get out for a walk and had high expectations that the blow hole would be active today. We were coming off of high tide and days of strong east winds had kicked up the surf. Pete caught this picture ...


... but the video shows it much better. It was definitely active, if not quite Old Faithful.


We didn't even walk down to the little beach. More showers were on the horizon so we headed back to our boats. I finished another book between raindrops. In late afternoon we got word that dear friends Amy and Rex on Xtasea had arrived in the anchorage and that we would all meet at Lorraine's Cafe for the buffet dinner. We had a great evening out, full of laughs and stories. Lorraine welcomed us all following dinner and before the music began. Amy and I did pretty well with the lyrics to all  the songs on the playlist -- a weird mix of disco and baseball stadium standards. We had a wet ride back home through the chop, but we were still smiling so all was good.


No comments:

Post a Comment