Friday, February 17, 2023

Our Fortnight In George Town Draws To A Close

George Town   

The wind and waves lessened overnight, creating a calmer anchorage and better sleeping conditions. The sun is rising these days around 6:30 and I'm trying to get myself up with the sun. Not only do I get to watch Mother Nature's display, but the few extra minutes give me enough time to get my daily stretching done in the morning. That was the case today and we were off at 9:30 in the dinghy heading to town. At the dock we me Glenda, Greg, Jaxon and Cooper (Paradigm Shift); Fred and Ruth Ann (Shooting Star) and John and Joanne (No Limits). Everyone headed to the pickleball court except for Glenda and I. We had a little retail therapy planned. We visited Sandpiper Arts and Crafts where I got a shirt, the Straw Market where we left empty handed, and Tranee's where I placed my order for a fresh grouper filet. Feeling good, Glenda and I walked toward the court to catch up with the others. We met Greg, Jaxon, and Cooper walking toward us. She joined them and I proceeded to find Barry in action on the pickleball court. While his game was finishing up, I went to the other end of the court and took a few shots. The sun and wind (note the distorted net) were challenging, but my form was still pretty good and I believe I made more than I missed. We said our farewells to the group and rejoined Paradigm Shift at Exuma Yacht Club for lunch. The beautiful plumeria blossoms in the landscaping caught my eye. The orange-red gradient of our libations and the dark to light blues of the harbor were also fine eye candy as we sat, chatted, and planned.  

Following our delicious lunch, we topped off the gas tank in the dinghy and headed through the tunnel for what is probably our last time this season. We returned to Crossroads and I went to the upper deck to read. No Limits came over to pick up a spare part they needed which Barry had in our onboard supplies inventory. After all of that, we still had a few hours of daylight remaining, so we headed to the beach for another walk in the surf. 

We took the same sandy trail across the island as we did the other day, but the scenery remained fresh. The time of day/sun angle, tide cycles, and sea state all combine to make each trip different. The palms seemed a little greener and we noticed an interesting circle feature across the midshafts of the fronds. The dunes cast just enough shadow upon us to provide good lighting for our photo. The setting sun cast a golden glow on the surf of Exuma Sound.

We took advantage of the shadows getting longer and had a bit of fun doing shadow puppets. We took one last look to the south before climbing up the dune and back onto the trail. We actually stayed dry on the dinghy ride back to Crossroads. We're hoping this is a sign of a good travel day tomorrow. One last bit of excitement was provided by a seaplane leaving Kahari Resort and motoring through the anchorage in the direction of Paradigm Shift. Once in open water, it turned into the wind and took off. We will take off tomorrow as well. It is hard to believe we've spent two full weeks here in George Town. We have checked off many boxes while here and are appreciative of all the services this area has to offer. It is, however, time to move on to new anchorages and experiences. 


No comments:

Post a Comment