Monday, January 13, 2020

Christmas Gifts and Presence

Christmas Break - FL to VA to NC to VA to FL

We had a pretty direct route home. It took only a mile or two to hit I-95 in Jacksonville. Six hundred miles later we were almost home. The car was loaded with cold weather clothes, a few Christmas presents, and our cactus. With a plan to stay home for close to a month, we couldn't leave it on the boat. We arrived at the house and unloaded everything to the downstairs, turned on the heat and hot water heater and then hit the pillow. The following morning we headed to Deltaville to return the rental car and pick up our two vehicles that we left at Stingray Point Marina back in November. It was beginning to look a lot like Christmas -- and feel like Christmas too. I had to scape the windshield before I could leave.


I soon got up our tree which was a nice treat. I really missed not having one last year. We caught up with Cindy and Larry for our traditional Christmas dinner. I went to my first UVA basketball game and of course had to get a photo with the national championship trophy. The Hoos lost. More turnovers than field goals made. It was not pretty. Also not pretty were all the leaves down in the yard. It took a few days, but we eventually got them all up.


Christmas morning was spent with immediate family at my parents' house. Then we packed up and headed for Clemmons. What a great day with gifts crafted with love, practical items, and some full of whimsy. We spent time visiting on the front porch and giving some ear scratches and paw rubs. Most of our time was enjoyed around Aunt B's table, whether for meals, games, or our own Candle Tea.


The cousins went to see the final Star Wars on Saturday before we left at 8:00 pm. We stretched our stay as long as possible before heading home. Sunday morning I had an important date with some special folks in Charlottesville. What great fun checking out their presents and building our Oreo cookie house. Thanks to all for letting me play for a few hours. Another UVA game followed. This time a win. Wahoowa.


As is typical in a Richmond winter, the temperature eventually climbed to the mid-70s, giving me the opportunity to clean the leaves out of my azaleas and prune the crape myrtles. That's a little less work I'll have to do in May when we return. My camellias were in full bloom, making it seem close to spring. All too soon though the temperature plummeted and I was back to scraping the windshield. That signaled the time to pack up all the warm weather clothes and head south once again.






No comments:

Post a Comment