Sunday, July 15, 2018

Boys and Their Toys

Day 56  |  Trenton  

Barry scrubbed the decks and I waxed the starboard side of Crossroads -- right up to the point where I couldn't reach anymore. At least now her two sides match in the waxed/unwaxed, tone-on-tone color scheme. I have a bit more waxing to go as all the cabin sides need a fresh application. I will have time on my hands shortly and hope to knock it all out. Its nice to see her shine again.

Right after lunch we headed over to the National Air Force Museum of Canada to do the tour. When we got there we discovered that it was Wings and Wheels Day as well, with roughly 100 cars on display alongside the planes.


The museum had exhibits and several planes inside a large building. Barry could work as a docent here as he could tell me everything about every plane.


He sat inside cockpits of aircraft that he had flown before. Outside, he spotted a CH47 Shinook helicopter that he had written the pilot checklists for, back in the day. We walked around the grounds, enjoying the sunny day and warm temperatures.


The car show portion was pretty interesting as well. While dominated by Chevrolets, there was a nice variety of other brands. We walked down memory lane spotting cars similar to those of ours, family and fiends: Barry's mid-year Corvette, my mom's Impala, Barry's GTO, the Dart that was more similar to the one my dad had than to the one our friend Greg restored, my longed-for Beetle before I went to Jettas, and my cousin Paul's Mustang. The colors of the vehicles were much brighter than what we're used to in the States.



One last bit of nostalgia as Barry climbed into a Cessna 152 and pushed all the buttons while commenting it seemed to be much smaller than he remembered in the 1980s. We walked the two miles back to the marina, stopping for dinner along the way and then again to make our nightly phone calls to home in a gorgeous little park by the river.






No comments:

Post a Comment