Saturday, July 14, 2018

Dodging Raindrops in a Small World

Day 55  |  Mohawk Bay to Trenton  |  4 Hours  |  25 Miles

Our quiet little anchorage had a few more visitors early this morning as small fishing boats took to their favorite spots not far from shore. The day began with an overcast sky which enhanced the colors of the foliage and small boat against the monochrome water. As we pulled up the anchor it began to drizzle. Instead of continuing to wash the mud off the anchor (it could wait and was definitely not going anywhere on its own), I went below and closed all the windows and hatches. By the time we were back into the Bay of Quinte's main channel, the anchor was clean and the rain had stopped.


I was surprised to see my little grasshopper friend was still with us. After I put him down yesterday, he had found his way to the top of the pilothouse windshield. We made the short trip to Trenton at low cruise to save a bit of fuel and to make sure we arrived after the noon check-in. Most of the day was as pictured below -- solid gray cloud cover with flat gray water. The main excitement of the morning was hearing Freebird on the radio. Yes, it was a slow day.

Eric, the harbor host here at Trent Port, helped tie us up in our slip and shared some great local knowledge with Barry. Dock height and position were favorable so I immediately started waxing the very oxidized starboard side of Crossroads. I got about a third of the way done when the real rains came and chased me inside. Barry and I gave the interior a good cleaning by dusting and vacuuming. I celebrated the completion of that task by calling Aunt B and catching up with the North Carolina family before getting a much needed shower.

There are seven Loop boats here tonight and most of us gathered for docktails aboard the hosts' boat. We had met several of the couples before, either at the Spring Rendezvous or along the way. Eric's 14-year old Australian Shepherd Max dared me to prove that I was the best ear scratcher in the marina. After three hours, I think I finally convinced him. The strangest thing of the day was learning that Eric was born in Norfolk and grew up in Mechanicsville (my hometown, outside of Richmond). Although we went to different elementary schools, we attended the same middle school, a few years apart. It is indeed a small world.


We had a quick dinner onboard and were able to watch from Fiberglass Beach as the sun set over the marina. By the way, the grasshopper was still in his same general spot at nightfall. Because today's rain prevented us from visiting town, we will stay here tomorrow and give it another shot. Hopefully Barry will get the decks scrubbed of bug carcasses, I'll be able to finish up the waxing, and we'll have a bit of time left to explore. That's the plan ... as of now.





No comments:

Post a Comment