Friday, July 20, 2018

Out With A Bang

Day 61  |  Trenton  

Barry was heading to the Richmond airport about the same time I was waking up this morning. I had a few errands to do in the morning -- picking up bottled water and a few other things at the grocery store, and hitting the chandlery here at the marina in search of some spider poop remover. I went up on the flybridge last night and could not believe what a mess it was. Those eight-legged creatures have turned it into a poop deck for sure and boat soap was not cutting it. Both missions were accomplished and I spent the rest of the morning getting Crossroads ready for tomorrow's departure.

Around 1:00 I headed back into town to the Festival on the Bay activities. There were some new vendors today -- like the ax throwing booth and representatives from Parks Canada -- but I also had a chance to pay more attention to some that I noticed yesterday. The artist below was turning out some impressive pieces on the spot. Some even glowed in the dark. The decorative balloons were new today as well.


The musical acts were both Irish folk/Celtic. I caught the last part of Mark McGreevy and then the first part of Charlee Rivais. After about 15 minutes of listening to the harp, I was about to doze off. Luckily I found a quick sugar-fix with a freshly made Amish donut. One more trip down the street and I turned back toward the marina. I wanted to get a little reading in before dinner time.


After dinner, I headed back to town. The Swingmasters were playing along the riverfront before a pretty good sized crowd. I sat and listened for about 45 minutes before walking on up to the bus stop to meet Barry. His shuttle arrived as scheduled at 9:10 and we walked at a brisk pace back to the marina in preparation for the much talked about fireworks show.


One of Canada's largest distributors of commercial fireworks is located here in Trenton. They donated $50,000 worth of pyrotechnics for tonight's show. There were both high and low level fireworks being shot off simultaneously and the night sky was full the entire time. Sort of like a 20-minute grand finale.


This little festival was a treat and quite a silver lining to being delayed for a week here in Trenton. Barry's dad perked up during his visit and we hope his progress continues during his stay at the rehab center. We depart in the morning and enter the Trent-Severn Waterway which is 240 miles long and has 45 locks. It will be nice to be moving again.

3 comments:

  1. So Barry flew to RIC and you are boating solo? I’m really enjoying your blog! Enjoying 70 degree temps at Bold Rock Cider today😀.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you're having an amazing day at Bold Rock. 70 degrees? ... wow. Enjoy one for me. Cheers!

      Delete
  2. Above post from Michelle. Read your post more carefully and see that you’ve been hanging out while Barry was home checking on his dad. Glad to hear he is on the mend.

    ReplyDelete