Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Trash to Treasure

Bimini 

Today was our final day in Bimini for this season. The morning was spent giving Crossroads a good dusting and vacuuming. We gathered trash, cleaned some leftovers out of the refrigerator, and stowed all kinds of "stuff" that works its way out when at dock for a week. The afternoon was quite warm. A cloudless blue sky and no breeze intensified the heat of the sun. We joined Scott and Mary (Salt Wife) at the Thirsty Turtle for some afternoon drinks in the air conditioning. This little restaurant has stepped it up a notch from last year. It is under new ownership and has a diverse and reasonably priced menu. It also has a pretty cool logo. At 5:00 I took my final beach stroll and, again, had the mile-long stretch of sand to myself. My thoughts today turned to "How long does it take trash to become a treasure?." I've seen a lot of trash on the beach this week. I've also picked up a lot of treasures that were once considered trash. How many tide cycles are required to transform a broken beer bottle into collectible sea glass? How many times must a piece be rejected by beachcombers as too transparent and too edgy before it is deemed to be acceptably opaque and smooth.


The same goes for conch shells. For some reason, they were washing up at my feet today. All had once been a substantial home to a little critter folks love to eat. A hunter retrieves the shell from the ocean floor, inserts a blade through the face of the shell to free the conch, and then discards the shell. What makes one shell worth picking up? For me if it was otherwise intact with a full and thick lip and a shiny bright pink inner surface, it was worthy of taking home to my garden. I ended my final walk as the sun dropped below the horizon with three medium-size conch shells. This summer I will turn to them in hopes of hearing the ocean call to me once more. A dozen or so folks gathered for the sunset, including Scott, Mary, Dieter and his wife Mary (Ocean Drive). We appreciate Scott catching this last photo of us with my three conch shells.


We plan to leave around 6:00 tomorrow morning for Great Harbor in The Berry Islands. It will be a long day, but we should be in before sunset. We have enjoyed Bimini, but it will be good to get moving again. Another step closer to our ultimate destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment