Monday, January 23, 2023

Bonus Day in Fort Pierce

Fort Pierce  

Knowing we had a slow day ahead of us, I embraced the opportunity to stay in bed a bit longer than usual and listen to the rain falling on the cabin roof. Nowhere else on Crossroads does the sound resonate so purely. This, however, was not unproductive time. I completed all my morning phone tasks and made a mental list of the projects I'd like to complete on our final day in Fort Pierce. Once the rain stopped, it was time to go outside and give Crossroads a sponge bath. Water droplets softened the heavy salt deposits (and dirt) covering every surface. The chamois and a little elbow grease removed it all in quick fashion. I went up to my favorite spot on top of the pilothouse to polish the stainless steel framing and enjoy the view. The heavy winds and choppy seas of yesterday were gone. Even with the heavy cloud cover, the blue of the water and the warmth of the day confirmed that we're getting closer to our destination. Following lunch, it was time to pack away most of my "winter" accessories. Wool socks, Cold Gear tops, beanie, scarf, wool gloves, and hand warmer packs were all happily moved to long-term storage. I left my jeans and a few sweatshirts in my hanging locker for a few more days, but they too are soon destined for storage.   


I finally did get around to dusting, vacuuming, general cleaning, paperwork, and some reading. A red glow flooded through the windows as I was fixing dinner. A beautiful sunset was occurring behind Crabby's. The colors in the sky lingered for another half hour before gradually fading to black. We have enjoyed our time in Fort Pierce and will definitely make this a go-ashore stop in the future. We'll depart at first light tomorrow and try to cover 55 miles. It will be a long day with five bridges that need to open for us, but it will also be one day closer to crossing to The Bahamas.



No comments:

Post a Comment