Saturday, January 28, 2023

Looking and Watching

Palm Beach    

Today was a down day as we wait for the weather to improve. A heavy cloud cover settled over the anchorage and stayed for much of the day. A few morning showers moved through the area. Barry and I passed the hours in our favorite ways. Barry watched TV and I completed my yoga and stretching. We also spent a lot of time looking out the windows. A small sailboat cruised through the anchorage. Large wakes would rock us and we would spring up to get a look at the offending vessel. A cormorant spent a great deal of time deciding how it was going to consume the very large fish it had captured. By noon it was time for the Virginia-Boston College basketball game. I could not receive the video feed, but watched the game old-school style in my mind while listening to the radio broadcast. I celebrated the convincing win with a lengthy phone call to Aunt B. It was great to catch up on all the family happenings. A visit to the pilothouse led to a few moments watching a pod of dolphin feeding in front of us. Dolphins in the water are like squirrels on land. If you pay attention you can spot one with almost every glance. Their numbers lead you to not pay much attention to them. Then the animals do something to catch your eye and you are fascinated by their grace and intelligence. Today, there were numerous occasions when the dolphins' flukes were out of the water. We don't see that often, so we sat and watched.

I had gone back downstairs and was finishing my workout, when I heard a dinghy approach. I got to a good stopping point and came upstairs to see Jeff and Terri from Change of Pace chatting with Barry. They had been to the Farmers' Market and were telling Barry where the dinghy dock was. We have stayed in this anchorage before, but have never known the "secrets" of where to go ashore. A big thanks to our cruising friends for sharing the knowledge. If the weather holds tomorrow, we will drop the dinghy and go to shore, walk around, and see what we can see. As I prepared dinner, through our round window I spotted a small area of sky turning a deep orange as the sun set. We went outside and watched as the city began to glow in the twilight.




No comments:

Post a Comment