Thursday, March 30, 2023

Name That Tune

Rock Sound   

Squally weather was predicted for the afternoon so we got an early start on our walk around Rock Sound. We buttoned up Crossroads in case it rained while we were gone and were at the dinghy dock by 8:45. The local fishing boat So What was also tied to the dock. Just by reading the name, I got Pink's song stuck in my head -- so what, I'm still a rock star. It was slightly less than a two mile straight shot from the dinghy dock, across the island, to the Atlantic-side beach. A small potcake puppy greeted us as we passed by. He was sweet and curious although mother dog was more wary of our presence. Colorful signs along the road displayed country pride. The Bahamas celebrate their 50th year of independence on July 10. Dark purple morning glories lined the road. (I attempted to take no photos of bougainvillea as I loaded my camera up with many such pictures yesterday.) Songbirds filled the air with their own special tunes. I failed to name that tune. To me, it sounded like a mockingbird.

A pink trumpet tree was full of delicate lacy flowers. The road came to an end and we picked up a sandy path that lead to the beach. The heavy cloud cover gave the ocean a gray-green appearance. I have to admit that I was disappointed we did not have the same kind of picture-perfect day that we enjoyed last year.

A group of small birds was hanging out in the surf. I was able to approach and then follow them through the lapping waves. As they strung out into a single file, they reminded me of the title theme from The Partridge Family. I was soon humming Come On Get Happy -- traveling along, here's a song that we're singing, come on get happy. 

I walked as far north as there was beach. At the turn-around point the sand had taken on the pink color which is famouslye characteristic of several beaches on Eluethera. Large coconut palms towered over the small dunes. Barry joined me to walk the southern length of the beach as the cloud cover increased.

The southern-most point was marked by the heavily eroded sand dune. The strong prevailing easterly winds drive big waves ashore which continually eat away at the beach. We checked the radar prior to hitting the path back to the road, and all looked good. The rain was still to our north. Blossoms of the damiana were wild in the brush while those of the plumeria were in landscaped gardens. 

Birds and butterflies flitted about. Purple blooms of the butterfly pea peaked out at ground level. As we approached town, a steady rain began to fall. We picked up the pace, but were damp when we entered Hall's grocery store with the double intention of looking for bread and staying out of the rain. They did not have bread, but we did pick up a bag of apples. While in the check out lane, the bottom of the clouds opened. We sat outside under the eaves and watched the puddles grow. Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head became the new tune of the moment. 

The shower soon passed and we got on our way to the Ocean Hole. More potcakes came out to follow us down the road and past a large Mexican sunflower tree. The Ocean Hole was crowded with a tour group from a cruise ship. We waited our turn and I then took my traditional spot with my feet dangling in the water. The level seemed to be about a foot lower than normal, making it difficult to get my toes as wet as the rest of me. The fish were very active in front of me, hoping for food to be tossed in their direction. While watching the fish, a sweet dog snuck up from behind and was watching us. We said farewell to both fish and dogs and headed to Sammy's for lunch. I had baked chicken and Barry had barbecued ribs, both came with peas and rice. We were more than full when we left.

I almost made it through the day without a bougainvillea photo, but could not resist when seeing how the blooms and leaves looked against the white fence. The trip back to Crossroads was dry, but dark clouds still hung over the anchorage. The clouds got darker and rolled on through, but we never saw more than a light shower. The wind did pick up as predicted and blew in the mid-20s throughout the afternoon, making it too chilly to sit outside. I did a load of laundry onboard to pass the time. The best sight of the evening was the supply ship leaving the government dock. Maybe there will be bread in the stores tomorrow --Tomorrow, you're always a day away.



No comments:

Post a Comment