Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Off The Chart Color

Lee Stocking Island to Rudder Cut Cay |  2.1 Hours   13 Miles  

We were in no hurry to leave beautiful Lee Stocking Island. Crossroads was one of only three boats in the tranquil southern anchorage this morning. It was quiet. It was peaceful. It was perfect. I enjoyed breakfast on the flybridge while staring at the sparkling water. I attempted unsuccessfully to identify the color of the water which was greener than what we have become accustomed to. Was it teal, turquoise, cerulean, azure? I was longing for a color chart, chip book, or color wheel to help. With no answer forthcoming from a nearby "Wise Old Owl," I turned my attention to the rest of the day. We did a little cleaning then pulled up the anchor and headed north.

The green tint slowly transitioned to the more common hues of purer blues. We received a two-knot push as we passed the stone beacon and exited Adderly Cut. It was a short ride up to our next turn. A large cloud cast shade upon us for much of the trip. It was chilly without the strong sunshine.

At Rudder Cut, we popped back into the shallow and protected waters of the Exuma Banks. Turn about as fair play, we fought the two-knot current this time. The cruising guide said to stay right of the rock that "looked like a whale" and that "we'd know it when we saw it." It was correct. We proceeded a short distance and anchored in a spot we'd used several times before. I had the best view in the house as I dropped the anchor. The color of the water was incredible. I decided the term would be Off-the-Chart. The bright blue sky and contrasting white clouds enhanced the panoramic view.

A short distance away is one of the caves we'll explore tomorrow. I read on Fiberglass Beach, finishing up a chronicle of Dawn Staley's path to her first national championship in 2017. I'm now cheering for the Gamecocks to claim their second in a row, and third overall. March Madness is heating up. The afternoon weather was strange as the wind and current were struggling for dominance. All the boats in the anchorage were spinning. At one point we noticed our anchor off of our stern. I trailed behind Crossroads in the floaty chair for a while to cool off then returned to my wonderful spot and finished another book. I had read Mandino's book in college, but it definitely made more sense with an additional 35 years in the rear view mirror. 

Barry and I enjoyed some appys (boater jargon for snack) on the flybridge as we watched the sun set behind a small island. The low level clouds produced a nice striping effect. Approximately 20 minutes later, the rising full moon peeked over Rudder Cut Cay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment