Monday, March 4, 2024

Rainy Days and Mondays

Beaufort  

In keeping with Mother Nature's brutal, yet predictable, pattern of the last two months, yesterday's nice day was followed by a solid day of yuck. Heavy rain fell overnight and I woke up once more to the rat-a-tat-tat-tat of large drops meeting the cabin-top roof. A glance at the radar confirmed another day would be spent aboard Crossroads. A classic rain song from my childhood popped into my head: Raindrops Keep Shallin' On My Head. (Yes, my speech impediment has forever changed the lyrics for my family.) How to stay busy? Starlink again came to the rescue with powerful internet. I watched plenty of Sports Center, streamed some concerts for background noise, and nervously rewatched the replay of the UVA women's victory from yesterday even with the knowledge of the final score. There was a little computer work thrown in for variety. Occasional trips upstairs revealed the same view -- raindrops on the window against a grayscale background. Barry even confessed that he has watched every episode of every spinoff and reiteration of Star Trek. The gray sky transitioned to the black of night and announced the arrival of dinner time. Crossroads is still loaded with good-for-us food so I fixed chicken, broccoli, and rice for the highlight of the day. We checked the weather this evening and learned tomorrow should be dry with a hint of sun, before (you guessed it) a stormy day follows on Wednesday. At least we have a plan. Tonight, the tune in my head changed to Rainy Days and Mondays.* We're thankful tomorrow is Tuesday. We will take a final (fingers crossed) walk around Beaufort, a nice place we've lived in for two months, but where we don't really belong. Our intention is to depart Town Creek Marina first thing Thursday morning. 


*Second verse, more applicable than the first

What I've got they used to call the blues
Nothing is really wrong
Feeling like I don't belong
Walking around
Some kind of lonely clown
Rainy days and Mondays always get me down.

No comments:

Post a Comment