Friday, March 1, 2024

The Cure For Everything Is Salt Water

Beaufort  

Plan A was for us to take the 10:00 ferry over to Shakleford Banks and visit the horses. We wimped out and decided it was too cold and windy to spend three hours out in the elements. We agreed to wait until after lunch to formulate a new plan. I worked on my yearbook for the rest of the morning. Our afternoon activity turned out to be a familiar one -- Plan AB, for Atlantic Beach. A quick drive over three bridges led to what has been our sandy stretch of sanity. We arrived at a falling tide when the low breakers were in the distance, but sea foam climbed up the clean, gently sloping, and hard-packed sand. 

We first walked north with a stiff wind to our backs. The surface of a still tidal pool mirrored the pier. Only four other folks were on the beach. Humans were definitely outnumbered by the sanderlings, willets, and gulls. We walked further than before, making our way to the Club Colony public access.

We retraced our steps and headed back to the starting point in a headwind. Barry sat out as I continued south to the main Atlantic Beach access before making a U-turn. Living on the edge these days is defined by how close I can walk along the surf without getting my feet wet. It was good to get some steps in and even better to sweat a little under my multiple layers. I met Barry back on the white bench and he stated, "you'd be happy walking on the beach every day." The answer was a profound "yes." He exited through the dunes to the warmth of the Escape. 

I took a few more minutes to survey the incredible scene for what could very well be the final time. My favorite quote from Isak Dinesen ran through my mind -- "The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." I have tried all three "cures" over the past two months. I am most thankful for the sea, and to Aunt Wrenn and Gail for hooking us up with this special spot. We made a quick stop for a few groceries before returning to Crossroads. Heavy cloud cover moved over the creek and rain will begin falling overnight and continue throughout the day tomorrow. 



1 comment:

  1. Y’all have had a rough time but have weathered it with grace and humor. I love following your adventures and have learned much about Eastern NC these past months.
    Praying for fair weather for you!

    ReplyDelete