Thursday, February 29, 2024

Walking Down Memory Lane

Beaufort  

I've always said February has 90 days. This year, we're (un)lucky enough to get 91. Today was leap day and as much as I'd like to leap down to The Bahamas, it is not in the cards as we remain tied to the dock here in Beaufort. The Countdown App on my phone keeps me updated on the passage of time. A little internet research on the history of leap day and leap year yielded some interesting facts. The earth takes 365.242190 days to orbit the sun, or 365 days 5 hours 48 minutes and 56 seconds. If we didn't account for this extra time, the seasons would begin to drift. After about 700 years our summers which we've come to expect in June, would begin to occur in December. With unfounded logic, I counter with if summer is in December, we wouldn't be trying to get south. We basically spent our bonus February day like many prior days by doing a few chores and trying to stay busy. We're running low on both boat projects and places to explore. Today I began working on my 2023 photo yearbook and placing my best 1,100 pictures from last year into the online layout. It was a difficult walk down memory lane as the Bahama blues dominated my favorite memories. One year ago today it was March 1 and we had already been in the islands for a month. We were back in George Town, Exuma for the second time awaiting a rendezvous with dear friends. I worked on the book for five hours until Barry came and rescued me. A transient sailboat had tied up across from us. We drove Julie and Andy into town and walked the Front Street loop before enjoying a nice dinner together. Time marches on, and tomorrow we will be glad to turn the page and see what March offers our way. 



No comments:

Post a Comment