Sunday, October 28, 2018

The Best Parts of Being Home

Days 155-161  | Richmond (and Beyond)    

Brrr ... it was way too cold on our first morning back in Virginia. We woke up to see frost on the car windows so I elected to stay inside, start a few loads of laundry, and unpack. The temperature did not climb out of the 30s all morning and I was in no hurry to go outside. Eventually, I grabbed a heavier coat from the closet and headed to Williamsburg for lunch and some good times at Pierce's with Linda and David. I left empty-handed from a side-trip to the outlet mall on the way back to visit my parents. Then it was off to get my flu shot and pick up a new pair of sneakers before meeting Michelle and Debbie for supper (I forgot to take our souvenir selfie). It was a great first day home. Thanks, ladies, for squeezing in a visit on such short notice. For those I couldn't see on this trip, I look forward to catching up on our next visit at Christmas.

Glenda and Jaxon came up on Tuesday and we excitedly headed back to Clemmons. We thoroughly enjoyed our 30 hours there and were able to visit both the Mrs. Hanes Moravian Cookie Factory and Childress Vineyards with Aunt B. As always, the highlight was just hanging out and laughing on the porch or around the table following a fantastic meal. Thanks to everyone for coming together.


Jaxon kept me entertained all week and we made the most of his time at Camp Newland, teaching him some new puppy skills. We raked the yard and cleaned off both the front and back decks to make the house look lived-in. A coastal storm blew in for the end of the week so Glenda and I went to Plan B, skipping the Wicked 10k in Virginia Beach in favor of catching a movie (A Star is Born) and some Gelati Celesti ice cream. Over 2.5 inches fell, but had stopped by Saturday morning when she and I went pumpkin hunting with her three grandkids and daughter-in-law. In the afternoon, we had fun assembling a few Halloween crafts and decorating the pumpkins. As a grand finale, I carved the largest pumpkin as the kids picked out the seeds for roasting.


Sunday was full of family visits, spending time with Barry's dad and then with my parents, sister, and brother-in-law. Lisa brought in two casseroles for our final meal on our final night home. We returned to the house and began packing for tomorrow's early departure. It is amazing how quickly the time has flown by. Each and every day has been spent with dear friends and family. Great memories!  

No comments:

Post a Comment