Thursday, January 3, 2019

Checking Off Projects and Miles

Day 228  |  Palmetto   

We jumped right on our dinghy project this morning, knowing that it would take two days to complete. Barry worked from both the bottom up and the top down to align our new chocks and mark their positions. Each chock required six oversized holes to be drilled into the upper deck. The holes were then filled with epoxy to seal the exposed deck core. The epoxy will cure overnight and tomorrow morning we can install the lag bolts, secure the dinghy, and then bring up the new outboard.

Riviera Dunes operates a pumpout boat that comes around to each boat. Thursday is their day to take care of business and we added our name to the list of 65 other boats requesting their service. We are now empty and good for another week. We'll get emptied one more time here before departing at the end of next week.

It was another gorgeous day here and I took advantage of it in my own way by making multiple passes on my out and back walking route. It felt good to get in 12,500 steps and 6.5 miles while sweating a little. My knees don't allow me to go very fast, but I am happy to be able to go. Two years ago this time I was in the best shape of my life and training for the Fort Lauderdale Half Marathon. Last year this time I could neither sit nor stand without being in excruciating pain. I'm happy with the progress, but far from satisfied.


The best part of these walks is the scenery. I still pinch myself every time I pass under the palms that line the paved path. It is January, I'm in Florida, and it is warm. The birds on the lagoon are almost domesticated and don't mind having their pictures taken. Dozens of folks are regularly out in both the morning and just before sunset, being led by canines on strings. I'm not very good at remembering the people's faces, but remember the dogs and have stopped to give several some quick ear scratches.

Barry replaced two light fixtures in the cockpit locker (which haven't worked since we got Crossroads). Once it got dark, we tested them and they work great. He also worked on our watermaker, ordering new membranes and filters. This also has not been functional since we've owned Crossroads, but we hope to have it up and running in the next few weeks.


If all goes well tomorrow morning, we plan to run into town in the afternoon for a look at some new scenery. We need to hit the post office and bank, but I cannot rule out a trip to West Marine or Walmart. There is an unwritten Looper rule that almost requires a visit to these big box stores when in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment