Friday, April 28, 2023

My Heart Led Me Home

Beaufort, SC to Glen Allen, VA (and back) |  36 Hours   975 Miles  

First, my apologies for not giving prior notice about missing a post last night. Thanks to those who checked to see if all was OK with Crossroads. It has been a busy two days, but I am so thankful for the ability to have made a quick trip home. You all recognize the name of my best friend Glenda from the many references in this blog over the years. We are two peas in a pod. I am so blessed to have a kindred spirit and to have also developed close relationships with her extended family. They truly are my family as well. Some of my favorite memories from last year were visits with her dad. I could usually bring a smile to his face, especially when I delivered an ice cold Diet Pepsi-Cola. Glenda's dad passed away on Sunday, April 23rd after a period of declining health. My heart commanded me to get home for the funeral. We staged in Beaufort where we secured both dockage and a rental car for the straight drive up Interstate 95. So, at 6:30 pm on Wednesday night I departed Beaufort for home while Barry stayed aboard Crossroads. I arrived at our house in the wee hours of Thursday morning. After turning on the heat, water, and water heater, I slept very well -- and a little later than normal. The sleep and a long, hot shower were all I needed to recharge for the afternoon's service. It was a beautiful day all around for the celebration of life. My heart aches along with the families of his children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. 

I did have an opportunity to do a few other things while at home. First, I had to sweep all the oak pollen from the driveway. Welcome to springtime in Virginia with massive bales of oak pollen. A walk around the yard revealed a few of my azaleas were in peak bloom (some had faded, some have yet to bloom -- they never all bloom at the same time). The peonies and rhododendrons are just beginning to open. I love the bright splashes of vibrant pink blooms against the green leaves. I even ran to the local West Marine and picked up some pink antifreeze for Barry so that he can pickle our watermaker. We were unable find any here in South Carolina because the winters are so mild. The best bonus activity was a surprise drop-in visit to my mom and sister. I had not told them of my roadtrip home because mom would have stayed awake all night worrying about my travel. This way, she only worried about my return trip. Back at our house, I packed, reset the utilities to away mode, then got a bit of sleep. At 12:45, I closed the door and retraced my route down I-95 in the rain. The Buc-ee's in Florence, SC, was perfectly located for a well-lit and safe refueling stop on both legs of my trip. The impeccably clean restrooms were a huge bonus. They also have more junkfood in one place than anywhere else on the planet. I picked Barry up a box of Beaver Buddies (think animal crackers) just because.

I arrived back at the marina on schedule this morning at 8:30. After unloading in the rain and a nap, the sky cleared for our trip into town to return the rental car. Following lunch we headed out for a walk and met Layla, a black lab, in front of our boat. We then met her humans, Jeff and Dana, and spent the next few hours chatting like we'd known each other for years. They are beginning their search for a boat and want to start cruising. We wish them well and definitely hope to cross paths again. Our nature walk around the Port Royal Landing development took us under a high-arching canopy of Spanish moss-laden oaks. Super cute houses were tucked under the trees' crooked branches. Some trees served as nurseries for lush fern growth. A lone squirrel paused on the patio railing and listened as we returned to the dock. We will depart tomorrow morning and head to Charleston. The weather is not cooperating so it looks like we'll be plodding through the ICW for most of our remaining north-bound miles. I cancelled my haircut appointment scheduled for May 8. Our arrival in Deltaville will be a few days later than anticipated.

No comments:

Post a Comment