Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Changes for the Better

Day 318  |  Black Point  

It was maintenance morning on Crossroads -- oil changes in the main engine and generator for Barry and some serious cleaning for me. We started early with Barry pulling out all the tools, floor protection, empty containers, filters, and fresh gallons of oil. We actually have a pretty good system in place and I got everything staged in the hallway outside the engine room. While my services weren't needed I tackled my least favorite tasks -- dusting and cleaning mirrors. The interior door fronts on our closets and cabinets are dust-magnet louvers. I used many Swiffers and cleaned six today -- one row at a time -- as we changed the oil. Our next oil change will be due after 250 hours of run time, when we will be back in the States.

We stowed the used oil and cleaned up, loaded the dinghy up with some trash, and headed ashore for a celebratory lunch. Almost as soon as we climbed up on the dinghy dock, Barry's phone rang with a work-related electronics tech-support call. He got the customer up and running in 17 minutes then we enjoyed a late lunch of lobster wraps with onion rings at Lorraine's. Following our meal we walked north and spotted a very interesting spider along the road. I thought the body looked like a sea shell. With a little Google research I believe it is a silver garden spider.


The afternoon was very warm with no breeze. The tide was out and the beach at the rear of our anchorage had grown all the way out to the locals' mooring balls. We jokingly commented about the value of local knowledge, knowing just where the deep water starts. Continuing down the road we took two separate paths across the island to the Atlantic shore. There was no beach access, but the views were stunning.


Hot and sweaty we turned back towards the marina. I saw the sign for the Blow Hole and checked Google maps to find that the "road" led to a sandy crescent beach. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to hunt for sea beans so I walked down as Barry sought out a shady place to wait for me. The rocky overlook came first and then the trail led out to the promised beach. I walked the length of the sand and was glad I did. I found no sea beans, but did pick up a few small sea fans.


Back on Crossroads, I cooled off by jumping off the swim platform for a 15-minute dip, followed by a shower. By 6:00 the easterly wind returned and we are enjoying a nice breeze through the cabin tonight. Should be good sleeping weather.



No comments:

Post a Comment