Saturday, May 12, 2018

Final Farewells (Part 2)




Unfortunately, all of life's farewells cannot be scripted and scheduled.

I was devastated to learn of my dear friend Chewie's unexpected passing early Friday afternoon.

I remember the day (July 3, 2006 to be exact) I met him in Crisfield, MD. He quickly became my first yacht club friend. Long before a cherished friendship developed with his parents, I was just Chewie's friend. 

Oh, sweet soul, I will always remember your spirited walk down the dock, the jingle of your tags, the way you would come over to our boat just to say Hi, the day we picked out your little red harness, the time in the Bahamas when I put the cone of shame on you and inadvertently velcro-ed you to the settee, and the many hours you sat and received ear scratches knowing very well that I needed to give them just as much as you enjoyed receiving them. 

I will remember your visits to Camp Newland over the past year and how you slept by my side all afternoon when I got home from arm surgery. How you enjoyed sitting under our Christmas tree, just content to watch the lights. Your little bark and dance routine consistently performed at meal time. Our car rides and long (albeit one-sided) conversations. Coming home to find you curled up asleep on my hastily discarded shirt. Hanging out on Crossroads, just resting on your favorite Nutzy sweatshirt, as I tidied up. 

Only a week ago, the last time I saw you, I commented to your mom how it seemed you had gotten the pep back in your step with your return to life aboard Ti Amo. 

Paw prints on my heart are a tremendous understatement. You were one of a kind Chewie, with a presence and aura that belied your small size. Barry and I will miss you dearly. 


1 comment:

  1. What a great tribute to Chewie. He loved Camp Newland or honestly any time he could find a way to snuggle up to you for those ear scratches. Thanks for sharing some great photos and memories.....the cone of shame will forever be a favorite.

    ReplyDelete