Monday, May 21, 2018

Lessons Learned

Our week of provisioning went well and by Friday morning, I was comfortable in saying my preparations for departure were complete. Barry had a few more projects he wanted to finish, but overall we were in good shape. We have a target cast-off of 10:00 am on Monday, May 21.

But until we get underway, a quick story about lessons I learned this weekend from a beautiful equine friend.

Fletcher knew something was up. Folks had been loving on him way more than normal for the past couple of weeks -- extra brushings, hair cuts, lunch and dinner visits. Yes, he soaked up the attention and enjoyed it -- that is only natural. Then Saturday morning arrived and all of his clothes and food were laid out and his medications and supplements were boxed up. He was brushed yet again, and he got to wear special clothes -- he was so handsome. The folks around him paced and cried. Then the time arrived and life changed.

Like a champ, he loaded into the trailer as he had been taught. The doors shut and it started to move. He had no real concept of what was happening or where he was going, but I believe he ultimately trusted the people around him and his prior experiences. He did great on his long trip, exited the trailer with strong legs, and was eager to go for a walk and meet new friends. He was a bit anxious at times, there was quite a bit of uncertainty, but ultimately he just decided to take a roll in the grass and enjoy the view from a new window.


I was fortunate enough to be along for this trip and experience every emotion along the way. As I reviewed the 500 pictures I took, it dawned on me that Fletcher's journey was a lot like my own. Here's hoping we trust our training, enjoy meeting new friends and enjoy the view from new windows.

Fletcher, I was very blessed to know you for the past several years and thanks to your Mom for sharing you with me. I hope to see you soon. I promise that I'll bing apples.



No comments:

Post a Comment