Tuesday, May 8, 2018

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Sorry, Andy Williams, but for me, Spring is the most wonderful time of the year.


I hurried home from Deltaville to find all my flowers in, or close to, peak bloom. It wasn't difficult to change gears from our boat house to our "dirt" house and spend the better part of two days doing a little yardwork. I got the first of five loads of laundry going and headed outside.

Rake the oak pollen, mow the grass, clean the leaves from the flower beds, prune some bushes, sweep more pollen, all while listening to the songs of the birds and the quite serenade of the wind chimes -- what a great escape. Enjoying the beauty of nature, whether on land or on water, is my idea of a great day.

I have 13 azaleas, which have never bloomed all at once, stretching the season out for close to two months. The blooms on three bushes are fading, five are stunning, and five are just beginning to show a hint of color.

The rhododendron and peonies are at their peak. The hostas have spread their canopy of perfectly formed leaves. The rose bushes are poised to explode by the end of the week.


The best part was that all the while I was in the garden I was also able to create in my head and revise (many times) lists of things I must still do prior to departure. Next week will be the time for last-minute provisioning. This week is for enjoying friends and family and all the things I will miss so much when we leave. 


No comments:

Post a Comment