Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Who Turned Off the Heat?

Day 290  |  South Bimini

The strong cold front ushered in a stiff breeze and temperatures 20 degrees cooler than yesterday. Today's high didn't get out of the 60s and before the day was done I had dug out a sweatshirt, long-sleeved T-shirt, and sweat pants. We set out on a walking tour of South Bimini, which is undeveloped compared to North Bimini. Along the road (a term used loosely as it is only hard-packed sand) we spotted many wildflowers. Once out of the breeze and into the sun, it warmed up enough to peel off the sweatshirt. Our destination for today was the Fountain of Youth. According to Indian legend, the spring supposedly restores youth to folks who bathe in or drink its waters. The fresh-water spring was carved out of the limestone rock thousands of years ago. The attached bucket just fit through the hole in the ground, ruling out the bathing option. I cupped my hands and scooped up a quick drink out of the bucket. In retrospect, I should have poured it on my knees and crossed my fingers.


A well-marked trail led off from the Fountain and I followed it in. Waiting for me at the furthest point from the road was a swarm of mosquitoes. They were excited to have me for lunch. They nibbled and I swatted as I made my way back to the road. We continued on another road across the island and were surprised to find the large Duck Lake.


Inbound on our circle route back to the marina, we came upon the Bimini Nature Trail. It was a one mile loop that went through the forest. Again, the brilliant flowers on the forest floor caught our eye as did the Australian Pine. Its needles are definitely pine, but its trunk is smooth with no textured bark. There were many informational signs along the way. A new one to us was the warning signs for a tree.


The placard pointed out the the Poison Wood Tree is kin to Poison Sumac and Poison Oak. Its sap is a strong skin irritant. We quickly learned to spot its distinctive reddish-brown bark. A highlight for me was the ruins of the Conch House out by the ocean. Even through a broken window, the view is spectacular. The afternoon was spent close to home. Barry helped a neighbor boat with some electronics issues and I read in the pilot house. I tried taking the book to Fiberglass Beach, but found it a bit too chilly. One book completed, and another one started before time to head to the beach for the sunset.


In the darkness, the wind is still gusty and clocking around. We are dancing around along with the floating docks, but the cleats are big and strong and our slip is wide. We're still in a holding pattern, waiting for the wind and sea to calm down before truly entering the Bahamas.

No comments:

Post a Comment