Wednesday, February 23, 2022

If There Are No Pictures, Did It Really Happen?

George Town 

We've had a busy few days in George Town. On Monday, I was finally able to pull my new paddleboard out of the commissary and get it ready for use. Back in the fall, I set this new activity as a goal of mine for this trip and to "be brave enough to suck at something new." I have been very diligent with my core and balance exercises while onboard. I felt I was ready to give this a shot now that Glenda was there to cheer me on. Greg towed us girls and our boards to a shallow, sandy area. I hopped right up on the first attempt and it felt great. Staying on was not an issue at all. My steering, however, needs a lot more practice. Glenda and I paddled around the anchorage and had a great time laughing and trash-talking each other. We managed to stay upright and dry despite a stiff breeze and several wakes from passing boats. Confidence abounding, we agreed that we didn't need a tow back to our motherships and set out under our own power with me in the lead. I heard Glenda simultaneously yell and splash. Instinctively, I turned to see what was happening. Down I went too. We had a great time, but there are no photos to prove that it happened. I am so grateful for her encouragement. We'll have to find another time and place (and a photographer) for our Dynamic Duo photo. After drying off and cleaning up, we headed to Chat N Chill, joining many other dinghies on the beach. The crystal clear water will always captivate me and lead me to take the phone out of the dry bag and capture the moment.   

Jaxon and Cooper took us on a walk around the beach and came across this interesting Lion King sand carving. We enjoyed appys (Glenda is the ultimate hostess) and a throw-together dinner aboard Paradigm Shift before calling it a night. Tuesday was oil change day for the main engine and generator. That managed to occupy most of the day and it was not until sunset that I picked up the camera.

Today's sunrise was pretty spectacular and was painted over all the sky. (Paradigm Shift is in the lower left corner.) Barry and I loaded into our dinghy and followed Greg and Glenda in theirs across the harbor for lunch at Splash. Disappointment set in when we were told they had no lobster or shrimp. What? The southwest chicken salad was delicious though. After our meal, Barry and I walked up to the store to check on some replacement parts. Along the way were vibrant bougainvillea blossoms and happy street-side artwork.

We retrieved our dinghy from a falling tide and made our way back across Elizabeth Harbor, first to Crossroads to unload then up to Peace & Plenty for the remainder of the afternoon with Joanne and John from No Limits

The tide had receded during our time ashore. Mother Nature left some beautiful beautiful artwork of her own in the form of ripples in the sand. The sun was getting low in the sky and our shadows were getting longer. A golden glow was settling over the northeastern shore. As we arrived back at Crossroads, a small rainbow was visible to the southeast. Tomorrow we will enjoy our final day together and be thankful for all the time we got to spend together. I'll try to remember to take some pictures.



No comments:

Post a Comment