Thursday, July 19, 2018

Festival on the Bay

Day 60  |  Trenton  

The Festival on the Bay kicked off this morning and I made my way over to the activities around 1:00. A main street had been closed to traffic, businesses were having sidewalk sales, food vendors had set up their fryers/trucks, and a covered bandstand had been erected. It was another beautiful day here in Trenton and there was a steady flow of folks up and down the venue. I stopped and watched as a balloon artist quickly twisted out animals. I think I was more impressed with the octopus than the little guy was. No, I didn't get a balloon animal for myself. I caught the tail end of the Cold Creek Cloggers set and watched for one "song." Not really my thing, so I kept on moving.


The food vendors featured the standard fare, with a few local items. Poutine is an interesting Canadian favorite consisting of french fries and cheese curds topped with brown gravy. I don't think I'll be sampling them while here. I did learn that poutine is a regular menu item at McDonald's all across Canada. I also learned today that pogo is actually a corn dog. My lone purchase was a bottle of ice-cold water for $1 Canadian (about 75 cents, American). Used to being gouged by vendors back home, I was expecting $3 a bottle and was pleasantly surprised. I grabbed a seat on a park bench, watched the people go by, and listened to the Fade Kings perform their hour-long set of classic rock and R&B. They were pretty good and I knew the words to all the songs. Every festival is required to have a guy in a lemon making lemonade, and he was here today.


The local "cannabis lifestyle gift shop" had a table and was selling accessories. They told me marijuana would be legal in October. The classic rock T-shirt vendor was also here with every band available as long as it was on a black T-shirt. Funny, they were all the same shirts that were being sold when I was in high school. It was a fun afternoon.


I returned to Crossroads, eager to pick up on my book. I read another 50 pages before eventually nodding off. I awoke and it was time for a shower and then to fix dinner. I then chatted with Barry as he started to pack for his flight back to Toronto tomorrow. This week really has flown by. The festival continues tomorrow with more performers throughout the day and a Big Band concert in the park at 6:00. Fireworks go off at 9:45 -- about the time Barry is supposed to get back to the marina.


No comments:

Post a Comment