Friday, July 13, 2018

Friday the 13th Travels

Day 54  |  Kingston to Mohawk Bay  |  6 Hours  |  36 Miles

We officially entered Lake Ontario this morning. Notorious for choppy seas when the wind blows from the west, we had a comfortable ride thanks to a light breeze coming from the south. There were a few small rolling waves and there was enough wind to keep the turbines spinning.

I was surprised when a lone grasshopper came to visit early in the day. He was happy to sit for a while on my wrist, which was fine with me. I finally put him down on the deck and none of his relatives joined him as part of a Friday the 13th invasion. Now, if the invasion of other bugs would just come to an end. Crossroads has been covered with bugs -- both dead and alive -- for about two weeks now. I'm not sure which she needs more, a bath or a bug bomb.

We came through two areas where our autopilot went crazy. The charts had warned us of magnetic anomalies created by the disposal of iron ore in the area. Even though you know its coming, its still freaky.


Our trip today was uneventful and a bit boring. The tall ship Saint Lawrence II passed us. We then passed an island overrun with birds. We were in the lee and got to enjoy the full effect of their fowl aroma for several minutes. I hung out on Fiberglass Beach for a while and finally captured the shot I have been seeing for a while now -- the reflection of Crossroads in the finial of our bow staff. Although I'd prefer it not be an advanced selfie, I couldn't figure out how to take it without being there.


We entered into the Bay of Quinte and had to make a few large switchbacks, resembling a Z. We settled into a quiet anchorage protected on three sides by good sized hills. A few boat chores, a little reading, and naps occupied the late afternoon. I fixed dinner, including a special dessert for Barry's birthday. I wasn't up for tackling a proper cake onboard, but I did make berry muffins which were still a special treat.


We will head into Trenton tomorrow and stage ourselves for passage through the Trent-Severn Waterway.

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Barry ! Wonderful pictures guys !!!! Feel like we are right along...we remember Kingston and the windmills as we spent few days at CORK. Are you headed to Toronto ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jiho. Same to you in a few days. We are headed to Trenton today. Tomorrow we will start the Trent-Severn waterway. I don't want to give it all away, so keep watching the blog.

    ReplyDelete