Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Regularly Scheduled Maintenance

Day 72  |  Orillia  

Today was maintenance day. Like it or not, it had to be done. Both the main engine and the generator require oil changes after every so many hours of run time. Between the time we left Trenton and when we arrived here in Orillia, both came due. First thing this morning, Barry pulled out all of the needed tools, filters, storage containers, and gallons of oil from deep, dark storage spaces -- under the floor, under the settee, in the cockpit locker. Needless to say the entire boat was a mess. I played the part of mechanic's helper as the engine oil and oil filter were changed first. I was in charge of handing the wrenches and paper towels, and supplying empty jugs for the used oil to be pumped into. As much as I could, I also tried to do a bit of work myself. I balanced the checkbook and paid some bills online. I also dusted the master bedroom and cleaned my bathroom. The engine oil change was done around noon, so we broke for lunch. Barry said he could do the generator oil change without me so I headed to Fiberglass Beach.


The first thing I noticed when I went out on the bow were the weeds growing in the slip beside us. This is how the canal was for the last few days. The thick growth of vegetation was partly responsible for our close-to-zero depth readings. I eagerly sat down and finished the book I've been working on for a couple of weeks. I have already pulled out my next one and hope to get started on it tomorrow. The Island Princess cruise boat returned to the marina, and a few more Loopers arrived for the night.

We used our last main engine oil filter and looked online to see if there was a NAPA in town where we could get some spares. There was, and Barry called to find that they had three in stock. We put a hold on two and set out on a 45 minute walk to pick up the filters. We got there, paid, and turned around and repeated the 45 minute trek back to the marina with our inventory in my backpack.


Hot, tired, and thirsty as we neared the marina, we stopped at Studabakers for dinner. We were glad to see something on the menu other than the standard pub food. I had Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos and Barry had a Chicken and Cashew Stir Fry. It hit the spot. Along the way back to Crossroads, we saw several more of the artistic sailboats sculptures. As this was a slow picture day, I'll include these as our favorites. The statue below, right depicts a First Nation fisherman and sits just outside the marina office.


The marina here offered a deal to stay two nights, get the third free so we'll be here tomorrow and use the day to plan the rest of our time in Canada and our brief visit home once we arrive back in the US. We need to hit the nearby grocery and drug stores for a few things. Once we reach Georgian Bay, we will be anchoring for about a week straight. A restocking of fruits and veggies is definitely on the list. I'd also like to walk over to Couchiching Beach Park and at least walk on the sand and dip my toes in the lake. We'll see how much we can get accomplished.

2 comments:

  1. What a journey! I was always amazed at your editing skills, but now I can appreciate your descriptive writing skills! I feel like I am right there with you! Well, almost anyway! Our trip to the Erie Canal had to be postponed until October when I became ill the day before we were to drive to NY. Am enjoying your lock adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following along, DeAnn! We have spoken of you many times along the way, particularly when we were at the entrance to the Erie Canal, while locking through, and when we met up with all the crazy houseboaters. Sorry your trip was delayed, but I hope your new date in October will be equally spectacular. Please don't read these postings with your trademark critical eye. Admittedly, I don't spend much time proofreading.

      Delete