Wednesday, July 18, 2018

The Trenton 10 Miler

Day 59  |  Trenton  

The clear, cool morning was the perfect opportunity to head out for a walk. I packed some water and a granola bar in my backpack and started my journey. I walked alongside PepsiCo Canada's Quaker Factory, and then the Trenton Veterans Memorial in a small park, before crossing the bridge over the Trent River. Down about a mile was Canadian Tire, which is more like a Wal-Mart than a Pep Boys. I picked up a new pocket knife for Barry and a couple of other boat supplies, including bug spray, silicone caulk and a caulk gun. I loaded everything in the backpack for the return trip. The frequent passing of large planes at low altitudes confirmed the nearby presence of the Canadian Air Force base.


The Splash Park was full of activity so I stopped for a while to watch and listen as the kids took full advantage of the sun and water. I had eyes on the adjacent swing set, but it was occupied by the little ones. Onward I went, past the Golden Hawk's plane on display at the community arena. The waterfront is clean, safe, and nicely decorated with banners


A turn up the street brought me to the Visitor's Center where I picked up some information on both the Trent-Severn Waterway and Georgian Bay. From there it was two miles to Lock 1 of the Trent-Severn Waterway. I retraced the steps Barry and I took to the "bus stop" on Monday morning and continued further. I wanted to see the layout of the lock before we entered in to it -- the narrow chute, the spacing of the lock wall cables, and the way the chamber filled with water.


Seeing how other boats lock through makes me more comfortable when we go to do the same. Since it was close by, I then walked a bit further up the road to where I was even with Lock 2. I could only see it from across the river, but that was good enough for today. I turned around and made my way back to town, this time taking a different route through the business district. The At the Crossroads Church caught my eye and made me smile. The clock tower is part of the old town hall. I picked up some Gatorade and juice at the market and then headed back to the boat.


A quick Google report showed that I had walked just over 10 miles, by far the most I've done in one shot since injuring my knee back in January. It felt good to knock it out while carrying my morning purchases in the backpack. Once on Crossroads, it was up to the bow for some reading and a nap. I woke up with very stiff knees, but by 10:00 tonight they feel much better (without drugs) and almost back to normal. Good thing because tomorrow is the start of the Festival on the Bay and I will be walking back into town to check out all the vendors and free concerts. The locals tell me this is quite an event.


Meanwhile in Richmond, Barry sprung his dad from the rehab center for a few hours and took him for a haircut and lunch. Julian was strong enough to get in and out of Barry's Escape so it was a good day for them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment